Happy Birthday, Fernando Pessoa, born 13 June 1888, died 30 November 1935
- Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life.
- No intelligent idea can gain general acceptance unless some stupidity is mixed in with it.
- The value of things is not the time they last, but the intensity with which they occur. That is why there are unforgettable moments and unique people.
- If I write what I feel, it’s to reduce the fever of feeling. What I confess is unimportant, because everything is unimportant.
- Art consists in making others feel what we feel.
- If after I die, people want to write my biography, there is nothing simpler. They only need two dates: the date of my birth and the date of my death. Between one and another, every day is mine.
- I’ve never done anything but dream. This, and this alone, has been the meaning of my life. My only real concern has been my inner life.
- Whether or not they exist, we’re slaves to the gods.
- Wise is he who enjoys the show offered by the world.
- To have opinions is to sell out to youself. To have no opinions is to exist. To have every opinion is to be a poet.
Pessoa was a Portuguese poet, writer, literary critic, and philosopher. He is considered a significant literary figure of the 20th century and one of the greatest Portuguese poets.
Source for Image